Sunday, January 08, 2006

Grey

'Sound As Ever', the first You Am I LP (though that is controversial, as there is an earlier two-EP compilation that many claim counts), was dedicated to the late Stephen Gray, better known as Goose, frontman for Sydney band Box The Jesuit (a nautical term for masturbation btw), a major influence and close friend of Tim Roger's who died of leukaemia in 1993 (while Sound As Ever was being recorded in Minnesota). He was also the inspiration behind the song Gray from Hi Fi Way.

This song on the subsequent LP is one of the most beautiful Tim Rogers songs. There is a lovely version by Tim Rogers and Wayne Connolly on the Underworld Medium Rare cd#1, a CD that came with issue #1 of Underworld Magazine in 1995. I can forward it to anyone who would like it.


GRAY - Hi Fi Way

Drunk at Cannon Falls
I never made the call
I had your number
It was chiselled on my hand and stained
Fell asleep to the line
Lyle sung "She's made up her mind"
Now I'm the twenty first descendant of the age and

I don't want it getting 'round town
'cause you'll kick my skinny ass if you ever saw me down
I can deny it 'til they all gone away
But I just don't think we'll ever get that other band together

Tried on all of your clothes
But even me and your girlfriend know
That there's only so much one guy
Can steal and so

We'll all choke on the slack
Try like hell to dream you back
Of the nothing I got
You know that you've always got half a soul

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home